'Ohe and Ulu, embraced by values and Ancestors is that enough?




    `OHE

`OheThis versatile and giant member of the grass family is able to grow more rapidly than any other plant. After two months of growth it is the size it will remain for its lifetime. Bamboo, as well as niu, coconut, is one of the most useful and practical plants for humankind, providing water storage, food, raw materials for household and garden use, musical instruments and more.
`Ohe is said to be one of the "canoe plants" brought to Hawai`i Nei by early Polynesian settlers in their oceanic navigation. This plant may have originated in India or Java. - Canoe Plants of Ancient Hawai'i



 'Ohe: practical and useful grass. And what of Ulu?
Ulu

We are, once again, on the land near Langley where Bunnies reign and humans camp. As I wrote here, this move seemed a different kind of move and it truly was.  Our respite of several weeks in the care of person and place who welcomed us reset our internal settings. The day we moved filled with all the things involved in gathering our outdoors life into moveable packages: the insides of our Big Ass Yellow Truck names T.F., the faithful Subaru named Scout; and the wagon called Vardo for Two. It's important to me to name these elementally significant contemporary vessels for they are to us our canoes.

Physically, our aging selves require shifting pace, adapting wants within limits to accommodate what we can do. We have learned, over time, the changing reality of our wants and in the process what we need is distilled. The more we learn, the less we need. 

One new thing we learned the other day was how a few inches of thoughtfully used space can transform our life. The small porch from which we enter and leave our beautiful and sacred home, and pull open a door stenciled in lau'ae Hawaiian fern, is partly our kitchen. Two feet of space with three shelves and some hooks allows me and Pete, one at a time, to cook meals and boil water for tea, dish washing and making of herbal infusions. Yesterday, we measured, wrapped with Denny foil, and added inches to the shelves. With three additional inches in front of the stove I have freedom to make just a little more magic! The additional eight inches on the lowest shelf gives us room to move things up off the porch.

In my na'au my gut tells me one wall of our golden wagon (the one that has been sanded and rough in its appearance) is 'ohe, Hawaiian bamboo, worn from the journey yet in the process of becoming new, again. Not yet, but in process. Both metaphor and cellular memory for us as we work from the inside and outside at the same time.

On the day we moved from the shady canopy of trees I worked to secure what lives within the wagon for travel; Pete worked outside to stow our chattel: dug our wheel out of its puka which grounded us, disassembled the wooden steps, used those amazing hydraulic jacks to lift and maneuver tons of weight; and hitched truck to wagon to enable movement.

Gates of Reflection, Yvonne Mokihana Calizar, 2019

In the shelter of the kupuna, the elder Maple, the reflection of Ulu sourced herself in me while we camped and restored ourselves. Ah, the deep blue dye of Sig Zane's designs, infused with the mana, meaning beyond the ink. From Hilo, where I bought the original length of fabric, this cloth has been company, family, holding space for me to grow. Reflections of Ulu multiple the mana divine inspiration, and story grows fruitful.

The windows that frame clear space -- windows of two different sizes, are covered with lengths of fabric printed with the deep blue of Sig Zane's design on one side and batik patterns of 'Ohe on the other wall. Between these walls Pete and I live our lives embraced by values that feed us. When there is conflict, we feel that too. The ancestors knew battle. We are survivors of those ancestors. With the help of these visual reminders, the challenges of everyday adaptation are shored up. I make it through the rough times, the turbulent water.  My soul my na'au feel I am listening to them. When I pray aloud so they can hear me, the vibration stirs the air between them and me, my prayers are answered.

I give to them. They give to me.




The distance from our ancestral roots are equally far for Pete and me. We find a middle ground on the edge of a Salish Island and journey one day at a time. As I sit at a table in Langley's library, the accounting of our newest landing finds ground. Back at the campground there is little access to the internet, so I park myself here. Here at the keys the way through creates a story, a mythic version of what this life is like. There are details I leave out. You the reader can fill in the blanks with your imagination, or ask for clarification. If you dig into the layers of meaning in these myths for your tale bone you will find something that is specific to you; I hope that for you!

Betwixt and between the acceptable versions of life in this often chaotic canoe journey, I, a Hawaiian woman of mixed ancestry listens for the guidance of my Ancestors. I depend upon my ability to translate. And admit to my confusion because? Because I often don't know why I'm here, or perhaps it is my Chiron command manifest.

I leave this TEDx talk "Living the myth, unlocking the metaphor" with Pualani Kanahele. It is one of my favorite teachings from 'Aunty Pua.' This mana'o has fed me over and over again, and I mahalo her for this expression. When I am most lost, I turn to this story. (The second video is a bonus, and will not be removed though I was trying. There's a message for me!)

There are other more recent teachings recorded of Pua available via Facebook (if you FB). If you are Hawaiian, or have a deep and honest respect for Hawaii and the necessary ceremonies taking place now on Mauna Kea I highly recommend searching the links out. (I am not a FB member, and could not find a way to include those links here).

Mahalo Ke Akua, e Na Aumakua. We, Pete and I, are amazed at what happens between the walls of 'Ohe an Ulu. Embracing values my ancestors believed important is vital to my life. I have much more to learn, and what I do know I share. These posts are what I know.

And to what or to whom do you give gratitude for your amazing life? How do you share what you are learning? We would love to hear that story.



If this post inspires the Ulu or the 'Ohe in you please consider sending me a Tip. The old fashion email and snail way approach is still the one that works best, but, with luck and a little more rest, I will implement a Pay Pal plan and let you know there is that option, too.

Mahalo nui,
Mokihana


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Like myths, symbols are thus ambiguous; they resist certainty."

The long journey of revolution

Halloween Time, Tricks, Treats and the Times In between