Water, Raven and Nai'a : elements of magic, and luck

Patchwork Dreams
© Yvonne Mokihana Calizar, 2019

Cause me to pin that
View of a sweet drink of river
To your reasons to resist
One more fracture
To Earth's belly.

Cause her to spread
Apple Banana butter
In the Dreams of the children
Who long for tender
Sweetness on parched lips.

Cause the voices
of Hawks to blend
Seamless with the
Song of breaching
Kohola.

Cause, cause, cause
The patches of my dreams
To stitch
here, there,
A herringbone to wear.


It is cold again. Winter is. Winter has started and when the elemental reality of Lono -- atmosphere -- bears down on the warmer ground -- Earth -- the shelter of a heated space is just a slice of a dream. A single emotion, lonely sensation among the many others. We weather weather through experience.  The separation between Lono and us is minimal. Our curved roof, and wisely-built wagon is tested for their solidity and facility with flow. A decade of life on the edge(s) has initiated us to the wilderness so easily packaged, branded in spin and judged. But, then Raven stops to check in on me, and I see through their eyes.

"Where have you been?" Two, not just one of the large black-feathered magic makers circled me ruckus in their speech. I echoed their language without thinking, cleaning my water buckets, preparing to catch the fluid promise of life.

The muffled speech on the video is me saying, "Water catching."

"We aren't far," I answered to reassure myself more than the spirit birds. We notice the throaty caws and know them different from Crow. But Ravens leave us to be with the rabbits and occasional hare, memorizing our choices, bidding their time. While I filled our buckets, my restless mind followed thoughts like bees after nectar. Empty limbs above our friend's goat pens waved; moments of magic would have to do. I remember what I've been taught, and say, "Thank you."

Finding and carrying/hauling water is an activity many peoples on Earth do regularly. Grateful to have a source, the routine involved is work. The routine involved is ritual. The work becomes sacred when we recognize how connected our lives are to the elements.


Before I was done catching and covering the buckets filled with well-water, the Goats had finally caught my attention. I could hear them, but only now see they are looking down from their sloped hillside. They too had been watching me. When I come on this routine visit they usually call out to me; I call out to them. A small and respectful exchange of greetings. Good manners. I make sure they can see me catch their golden almond shaped eyes before I leave.

My new year has begun and I have been introduced to a new tool to guide my journey and provide insight. The tool is called Profections, and according to Midara from my favorite astrology site, ElsaElsa,

"Profections are an ancient technique based in the astrology of ancient Greece. The general idea is that each year of our life corresponds to a different house, which circles around the zodiac in procession... Once we’ve figured out what house rules the year (take a look at the image for quick reference), we look to our own natal chart to see what sign is on that house cusp. The ruler of that sign is considered the ruler of the year, and will its influence will be felt broadly."
Applying this new tool, I discover I have begun a year of firsts, a '1' year according to Profections; and I see how apt that is for me. I've just finished a cycle of twelve years of life on these Earth lessons. Twelve years ago Pete and I left O'ahu after living in our car for many months. Environmental Illness was a new reality. There was a whole different set of routines and rituals needing to be learned; among them we would learn how to find, carry and know the value of water. Being chemically sensitive to the multitude of toxins and toxic residue any where, the past twelve years have been a steep and necessary learning curve.

Now, I begin to circle that curve on a spiral just outside the one I've been on. The elements of magic I believe are in the life I live everyday. Despite the challenges and wishes for life to 'be other than it is' there are clues and messages that point to vital benefit of being alive now. If I pay attention there are reasons to vouch for Life. 

As I write Pete is tucked back into the corner of the futon again, reading and considering the latest findings for understanding language. We spent most the day on one of our favorite short road trips and paused for a visit on a beach whose shore is a thousand thousand small stones. We call her "Pebble Beach." The tide was very high today but there was a clear sky, and warm sunshine even while it is a softer gently sun. Pete found a space to lean his long legs and read. I took myself down the way.

Quieting my mind, that same mind that is easily a bee in pursuit, I saw the first rise of black fin through the calm Salish Sea. Small oil slick spread from the present. Nai'a. Dolphin, or Porpoise. Gently the small fins rode through the bay to the left of me and yards away from the shore of pebbles on the beach. Joyful in their being, Nai'a came to visit me; the reinforcement I needed. The luck to add to the magic of this everyday life that includes catching and carrying water. One more reason to vouch for life.

David Wyatt Old Goat Series and Terri Windling's post "Three Writers on Aging"

In his free hand
© Yvonne Mokihana Calizar, 2018

IN place AT the edge My mate and I did come. TO a cross roads FROM within Perplexed and knotted.
An Old Goat
met us UP ahead A pail of water in his free hand. Left us with the pail.
Said, "Take a look."
Wise conjurer.
Is magic and luck part of your everyday?  How do you acknowledge or make room for them in your life?

If this post resonates with you or causes you to pause to consider the elements of magic and luck please consider sending me a 'tip', an expression of kokua for this heART felt expression. New to Myth For My Talebone? Go here to find out more about my work, and why I write these posts-for-pay.

Mahalo nui for reading, and remember there are many ways to kokua.
Mokihana









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Like myths, symbols are thus ambiguous; they resist certainty."

The long journey of revolution

Acts of Connection